(Updated and Effective: December 2019)
Updates to Policy
This Policy is subject to change without prior notification. Any changes will be posted on this page, and we will update the "Updated and Effective" date to reflect the date of the changes. By continuing to use the Vericel web site after the posting of such changes, you accept the Policy as modified.
Collection of Information, including Personally Identifiable Information
Vericel websites are not intended for children age 17 or younger. Vericel does not knowingly collect Personally Identifiable Information from children. If the parent or guardian of a child age 17 or younger has reason to believe that a child has provided us with Personally Identifiable Information, the parent or guardian should contact Vericel in accordance with the contact information provided in the section titled “Contacting Vericel” to request deletion of this data from our files.
Technical Information That Is Always Collected
We collect and store certain information with the goal of improving the content and services offered on our web sites during each user visit ("session") but do not use this information to personally identify you. This Technical Information includes: (i) the domain and host from which you access the Internet; (ii) the Internet address of the web site from which you linked directly to the Vericel web site, if applicable; (iii) the date and time you arrived at our web site and how long you spent on the web site and which pages you visited; (iv) your Internet Protocol (IP) address; and (v) your computer's operating system and browser software.
For more information about technical tracking technology used on our web sites, please see the section on Cookies and Related Technology.
Information That Is Collected Only if You Submit It to Us
We collect your Personally Identifiable Information on our web site only if you choose to provide it. We will collect and store the information you enter through interaction with Vericel web sites, including if you: (i) register and create a profile, create a user name and password, or sign up for a contest; (ii) send us an e-mail; (iii) use the chat rooms and forums or other products and services that are or may be available on our web site; (iv) log in to any of our sites; or (v) otherwise voluntarily submit Personally Identifiable Information to Vericel.
Please note that while you are logged in to a Vericel web site, your actions in that browsing session may be associated with your information. We may combine the Personally Identifiable Information you share with us through this website with other information you have shared with us, both online and offline. We may also combine this Personally Identifiable Information with records provided by third parties. We use this consolidated information to help us better design Vericel products, to communicate information to you, to enhance our marketing and research activities, and to facilitate other business functions.
Use and Disclosure of Information, Including Personally Identifiable Information
Use and Storage of Information
Technical Information may be used for improving the content and services offered on our web sites. Personally Identifiable Information collected on our web sites may be used by Vericel personnel, or a third party working on behalf of Vericel, to: (i) contact you to obtain more information; (ii) improve the web site; (iii) personalize your experience on the web site; (iv) comply with legal requirements; (v) provide you with information or services that you have requested; or (vi) provide you with additional information that Vericel believes may be of interest to you.
Vericel or its affiliates, subsidiaries, business partners, and vendors who assist Vericel in providing services to you (collectively, the "Service Providers”), may use such information for the purposes of carrying out the services described in this Policy. Vericel reserves the right to maintain all information in electronic and/or an offline form, for archival purposes and as otherwise required by law.
Disclosure to Third Parties
Vericel does not provide Personally Identifiable Information about our web site visitors to third parties except: (i) Service Providers, as defined above; (ii) in connection with security or law enforcement investigations or in the course of cooperating with authorities; (iii) to comply with legal requirements or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; (iv) when we believe it is necessary to share information in order to assist in an investigation regarding, or to prevent, illegal activities, suspected fraud, or potential threats to the safety of any person; and (v) upon a sale or merger of our business or upon a sale or liquidation of assets that includes the web sites.
We may use or share aggregate data (information about our base of users in general, from which all Personally Identifiable Information has been removed) for any purpose.
Your Right to Control Access to Your Personally Identifiable Information
Opting In / Permission to Contact You
Vericel and our Service Providers will use the Personally Identifiable Information we collect to respond to your inquiries and/or to send you information/newsletters, fulfill e-mail messaging programs, and notify you about new content or services on our web sites. Your request for information or services is also known as "opting in" to receive communications. By opting in to Vericel e-mails, you also agree to the use of e-mail analytics (described below).
If you decide you no longer wish to receive promotional e-mail communications from Vericel, you may opt out at any time by using the contact information below or following the opt-out instructions contained in promotional email communications from Vericel. You may opt out of other types of promotional communications by contacting us through one of the methods described under "Contacting Vericel," below. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications from Vericel, you may continue to receive non-promotional communications, such as information about safety warnings or changes to savings programs in which you are enrolled. If you have opted out of promotional Vericel communications and subsequently request information from Vericel, Vericel will contact you to answer your request.
Updating Personally Identifiable Information
Vericel is committed to maintaining accurate Personally Identifiable Information. You may always contact us to update or request the correction of your Personally Identifiable Information. Vericel will make reasonable efforts to comply with your correction/update request.
Residents of California have the right to request that Vericel delete their Personally Identifiable Information. If you are a resident of California and would like to make such a request, please review the section titled “Your California Privacy Rights.”
If you have any questions or concerns about the way your Personally Identifiable Information is used and handled, or would like to update or remove your Personally Identifiable Information, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 1-888-556-4026 or write to:
Attn: Customer Care
64 Sidney Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
Vericel takes reasonable precautions to keep all information obtained from web site visitors secure against loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction, including encrypting Personally Identifiable Information during the transmission of such information. Nevertheless, Vericel makes no guarantee as to the security of your Personally Identifiable Information and disclaims to the fullest extent permitted by law all liability and damages caused by its loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please be aware that there is always some risk involved when submitting data over the Internet. We recommend that you take any available precautions to protect Personally Identifiable Information you submit on this website.
Public Forums/Social Media
This web site may make chat rooms, forums, Listservs and message boards available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information. You should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information and you should not disclose the personal information of anyone other than yourself. Vericel cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information provided by you in such forums, and you do so at your own risk.
This site may use social plugins (e.g., the Facebook "Like" button) to enable you to easily share information with others. When you visit our site, the operator of the social plugin may be able to place a cookie on your computer, enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited our site. The social plugin may allow that social media web site to receive information that you have visited our web site. The social plugin may also allow the social media web site to share information about your activities on our web site with other users of their social media web site. For more information about the information shared via a particular social media plugin, you should refer to that social media site's privacy statement.
Third-Party Web Sites
Use of "Cookies" and Related Technology
Vericel sites may use the following types of cookies and tracking technology:
- "Session" cookies: Session cookies are temporary bits of information that are erased once you exit your web browser window or otherwise turn your computer off. Session cookies are used, for example, to improve navigation on our web sites, block visitors from providing information where inappropriate (e.g., the site may remember previous entries of age that are outside the permitted parameters and block subsequent changes) and to collect aggregated statistical information.
- "Persistent" cookies: Persistent cookies are more permanent bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer and stay there unless you delete the cookie. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (e.g., Login ID), helping to determine what areas of the web site visitors find most valuable, and customizing the web site based on your preferences on an ongoing basis.
- "Web beacons" (pixel tags): Web beacons are used to identify how a user may navigate through our web sites. Web beacons are similar to cookies but are smaller and not generally visible to users. Web beacons relay information about a user's Internet Protocol (IP) address and web browser type.
- Local Shared Objects (LSO): LSOs, sometimes referred to as "flash cookies," are a collection of data that a web site running Adobe Flash can place on your hard drive to recognize a repeat visitor and store settings and other information
In addition, our sites use two Google Analytics Advertising Display Features, which collect information through cookies: Remarketing with Google Analytics and Demographics and Interests reporting. If you would like to opt-out of having your data used by these cookies, please use the Google Analytics opt-out available here.
Other information on opt-outs for targeted advertisement delivery is available below.
To help us better improve the user experience, Vericel uses e-mail analytics services to track certain information about how you access, engage with, and dispose of Vericel e-mails to which you have opted-in (subscribed). Such data may include, but is not limited to, your e-mail and IP addresses, the browser and e-mail client you use, the city in which you are located, and details about how you engage with the email, such as whether you opened, read, forwarded, or printed the e-mail. By opting in to Vericel e-mails, you agree to the use of e-mail analytics.
Do Not Track Signals
Certain web browsers and other programs may be used to signal your preferences to Vericel about how or whether Vericel or third parties may collect information about your online activities. Currently, Vericel web sites do not respond to such signals.
Nevertheless, the Digital Advertising Alliance maintains a web site where consumers can opt out from receiving interest-based advertising from some or all of the network advertising companies participating in the program explained here.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.100, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), provides California residents with the right to request that Vericel disclose, no more than twice in a 12-month period, the Personally Identifiable Information it has collected, used, disclosed, or sold about its consumers. While Vericel does not sell your Personally Identifiable Information, and will not do so without your explicit consent, California residents may request that Vericel disclose the following information:
- The categories of Personally Identifiable Information Vericel has collected about you;
- The specific pieces of Personally Identifiable Information Vericel has collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the Personally Identifiable Information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for the collection of your Personally Identifiable Information;
- If applicable, the categories of your Personally Identifiable Information Vericel disclosed for a business purpose; and
- If applicable, the categories of third parties to whom Vericel disclosed your Personally Identifiable Information.
Known as the Right to Request Deletion, California residents may also request that Personally Identifiable Information be permanently deleted by Vericel and, if applicable, by third parties with whom Vericel has shared it.
If you are a resident of California and would like to make a request for information or request for deletion, you or a designated agent may contact, toll-free, 1-888-556-4026 or complete and submit the form located here. Vericel will notify you of the status of your request within 10 days of receipt. Following that, Vericel will verify your identity to ensure that you are who you say you are. This may entail Vericel requesting that you provide specific pieces of information, already held by Vericel and known to you, to demonstrate your identity. To designate an agent to submit requests to Vericel on your behalf, please submit a request in writing to Vericel identifying your authorized agent. Vericel will contact you to confirm your identity and that of your authorized agent.
Vericel collects, maintains, and discloses your Personally Identifiable Information in accordance with the following:
- When you visit Vericel websites or interact with Vericel email communications you have opted-in to receive, Vericel may collect the following categories of Personally Identifiable Information from you: (1) personal identifiers such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, (2) your geolocation data, and (3) your internet activity, including browsing history and interaction with Vericel’s websites, advertisements and emails. The source of this information is you directly. The purpose of this information is to improve Vericel websites, debug and repair website functionality, enhance marketing activities and facilitate various internal business functions. Some or all of this information may be disclosed to Vericel’s Service Providers who help Vericel maintain its website and help Vericel understand how users are accessing Vericel websites, advertisements and email communications.
- Vericel maintains the Personally Identifying Information you have chosen to submit to us through an online or offline form for the purpose of contacting you about Vericel products and updates, but only when you have authorized us to do so. The source of this information is you directly. This information may include the category of personal identifiers such as your name, phone number, address, and email address. This information may be disclosed to Vericel’s Service Providers to help send communications and learn how you interact with our online messages and advertisements.
You have a right to not receive discriminatory treatment by businesses for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA. Vericel will not discriminate against any consumer for exercising any of their rights under the CCPA.